Margaret Mitchell House
Margaret Mitchell House is a place where individuals struggling with substance abuse can receive the help they need in recovery. This private, nonprofit organization is located in Atlanta, Georgia. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency, Margaret Mitchell House is dedicated to providing quality behavioral health services. Margaret Mitchell House offers residential substance abuse treatment, outpatient treatment, detoxification, and sober living for men and women.
In 1919, Margaret Mitchell’s book, “Gone With the Wind”, was published, and ever since, the Atlanta home that she lived in while writing the book has become an iconic part of Atlanta’s history. It’s now a museum, and many people take the tour every year. One of the first things visitors notice when touring the Margaret Mitchell House for the first time in the beautiful Georgian architecture. The house was built in the 1820s, and when it was remodeled in 1918, it retained its traditional Georgian look but added more Victorian elements. The house now holds history to one of the most significant books ever written, and tours of the house and museum are extremely popular.
The Margaret Mitchell House is a historic house museum in Midtown Atlanta, Georgia. It was the home of novelist Margaret Mitchell and her husband, author John Marsh, from 1919 to 1949. The house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962. In 1991, the Margaret Mitchell House was restored and opened as a museum.
On March 19, 1936, the most famous opening line in American literature was published for the first time on the front page of the Atlanta Journal, “Once upon a time, in a far-off land, I was born.” That’s how Margaret Mitchell began her epic novel “Gone With the Wind.” The book sold more than 30 million copies and was translated into more than 20 languages. In 1939, it won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. In the decades since, the book has sold millions more copies still, inspiring generations of readers to keep its characters and story alive in their hearts.
If you’re interested in the birthplace of a famous author, the Margaret Mitchell House and Museum in Midtown, Atlanta is the place to go. The home, where Margaret Mitchell and her family lived at the time of her Pulitzer Prize-winning novel Gone with the Wind, is now a museum dedicated to the author. The house was built in the 1890s, and Margaret Mitchell, her husband, and her son moved in in 1927. It’s always a good idea to buy your tickets online in advance of your visit, especially if you’re planning a trip during peak tourist season (such as the month of May, when Atlanta celebrates Margaret Mitchell’s life with a variety of events).
The house is in a residential neighborhood of the city, on Peachtree Street, and was the residence of author Margaret Mitchell from 1916 until her death in 1949.
Margaret Mitchell House was a three-story home and was the home of Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone with the Wind, from 1922 to 1949, where she wrote the majority of the novel. It was also the location where she resided until her death in 1949. The home is now a museum and is open to the public.
In 1956, the house was purchased by the Margaret Mitchell House Association, which for the first time opened the Mitchell House to the public. The Association was formed to preserve the house and to honor the legacy of Margaret Mitchell, the author of Gone With the Wind. The Association raised funds to maintain the house and to offer guided tours during the summer months. Mitchell’s sister, Catherine Tarrant, donated the house to the Margaret Mitchell House Association. For the first time, the house was opened to the public. Tarrant and the Association wanted to honor Mitchell’s legacy and “to perpetuate the memory of a great American author.” The house became a National Historic Landmark in 1968 and was opened as a private museum in 1989.
The home is located at 1047 Crescent Avenue in the historic Adair Park neighborhood. The house has been renovated and is now a museum dedicated to the author of Gone with the Wind. The home was built by the architect John Francis Downing who designed the home in the Queen Anne Victorian style. The home has been recognized by the National Park Service with a listing in the National Register of Historic Places. The house was built around 1889-1890 for Asa G. Candler, who was the president of Coca-Cola from 1888 to 1919. Candler had earned a fortune from the sale of Coca-Cola, and he invested in real estate in Atlanta and around the country. In the late 19th century, Candler began building mansions for himself in the area. There are conflicting accounts about who designed this house. One account says Candler hired a local architect, John Francis Downing, to design the house.