William McKinley Peters Park
William McKinley Peters Park is one of 85 parks in Carroll County, Georgia. This park features a picnic area, playground, and trails for hikers and bikers. Parking is available, but visitors can walk or bike to nearby attractions.
The park is named after William Mckinley Peters, who was a hero in the American Civil War, a Georgia state senator, and is the father of the late congressman and former mayor of Atlanta, William Mckinley Peters, Jr.
William McKinley Peters was a wealthy man who moved to the small town of Tucker, Georgia, and purchased an old cotton mill. He left his fortune to the City of Tucker to be used for the citizens of the city. Over time, the mill was converted into a park, and the citizens of Tucker still enjoy it to this day.
William McKinley Peters was born on December 31, 1897, in Atlanta, Georgia. He was the youngest of seven children born to Mrs. Carrie Phillips Peters and the Reverend Peters. Peters was named after the 25th President of the United States, William McKinley, who was assassinated four years after Peters’ birth. Peters’ father was a Baptist minister who moved his family to Renfroe, Georgia in 1891. Renfroe is also the birthplace of fellow Georgia Tech alumnus and Olympian, Ralph Sasse.
Tucker, Georgia, is a suburb of Atlanta. It is a small town with a population of about 3,000 people. Tucker’s history dates back to the early 19th century when it was a small settlement of only a few families. The community’s first church was built in 1839, and the first brick house was constructed in 1851. Tucker is also the only town in Georgia that lies within two counties.
Tucker Dog Park offers an enclosed area where dogs can be off-leash, exercise, and play. The park is complete with agility equipment, a double-gated entry, water fountains, and trash cans. There is also a fully-fenced tennis court in the park, and tennis balls can be purchased at the park office.
Established in 1871 and incorporated as a city in 1908, Tucker was named in honor of a railroad executive. Tucker is best known for its classic southern, Victorian-style homes and its parks. The city is home to the Tucker Historical Museum, which features the world’s largest collection of Confederate Civil War flags. The museum is housed in the former First United Methodist Church and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The park is home to the Atlanta Rowing Club in Tucker, Georgia. Atlanta Rowing Club was founded in 1970 and is one of the oldest rowing clubs in the country. The club has a clubhouse with a bar and a deck, and is a popular spot for cocktails and socializing in the summer. In addition to the boathouse and the club, the park is home to a dog park, a playground, and a disc golf course.
It features a canopy of trees and greenspace, putting you in nature without sacrificing the convenience of a big city. Boasting 26 miles of trails for the hiker, runner, and cyclist and over two miles of waterfront for the paddler and angler, there’s something for everyone.
The park is an interpretive center that features trails and boardwalks, interpretive exhibits, and canoes. The park is located on Lake Allatoona, which is a reservoir created by the completion of the Allatoona Dam in 1953. The dam is owned and operated by the United States Army Corps of Engineers, and the park is managed by the Corps of Engineers, who also operate the Allatoona Marina.
Directions to William McKinley Peters Park in Tucker, Georgia. The park is on the corner of Barrow Hill Road and Fair Street. There is a basketball court, playground, and soccer field. There are walking trails and a community garden. There is a decorative red brick wall with a large gate for climbing (great for kids!) and the neighborhood does a great job decorating for the seasons. The park is in the middle of the neighborhood, so it is not hard to find.